The 2013 HDS Spring Classic/CDI has come and gone. Mother Nature delivered hours of thunderstorms and rain Saturday afternoon and evening. The show management team of Kathy Jones, Gillian Gourlay, Susan Peacock, Jan Colley and Ed Lavallee worked very hard to reschedule rides, reassign show officials and solicit extra volunteers along with moving two rings into GSWEC’s new Tellepsen Arena. The riders were patient and understanding. By all accounts, the show was a success in spite of the weather.
Here’s a quick summary of Spring Classic items that aren’t in the official results summary:
- Tracy Zaidenweber reported that twenty-four bears were donated for sick children at the Ronald McDonald House in addition to other stuffed animals. HDS hopes to continue making charitable contributions at future Spring Classic shows.
- Proceeds from the silent auction managed by Dawn Chamorro with assistance from Felicia Bures and Jaye Dunbar, exceeded last year. The resort condo was very popular!
- First place in the stall decorating contest went to Shoofly Farm with peace signs including horse names on every stall along with matching barn t-shirts. Second place went to Solstice Farms with a decorated wheelbarrow including vintage record album covers.
- The Calaveras County Adult Amateur High Point Award given to the HDS AA rider with the single highest score went to Beth Colle riding Livewire FCF.
- The Hedley Lamberty Trophy awarded to the owner of the highest scoring horse ridden by a trainer on Friday/Saturday went to Gaelle Rousseneu, owner of Don ridden by Erika West Danque.
The HDS Summer Shows I & II are just around the corner. They are being held at Brazos County Expo, the same facility being used for the 2013 GAIG/USDF Region 9 and SWDC Championships. The summer shows are going to be full and will give all of us a chance to become familiar with this new venue. If you plan on going to the October championships, you are encouraged to reserve hotel rooms soon! HDS has reserved blocks of rooms at reduced rates for participants—go to the link on the HDS Web site home page for important hotel reservation information and discount codes.
Last, I want to let everyone know about two events awarded to HDS by USDF this past week. They are:
- 2014 USDF Region 9 Jr/YR Clinic with Jeremy Steinberg on February 1-2, 2014 at Twinwood Equestrian Center, Fulshear, TX. Riders should apply directly to USDF for acceptance using the appropriate form on the USDF Web site.
- 2014 GAIG/USDF Region 9 Championships to be held in October, 2014 at Great SW Equestrian Center. The 2014 Southwest Dressage Championships (SWDC) have not been awarded yet. Thanks to Kathy Jones, HDS Recognized Show Chair, for submitting this application on behalf of HDS.
Enjoy the summer! Leslie Rohrer